source: Wikipedia – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
Emoji is the Japanese term for the picture characters or emoticons used in Japanese electronic messages and webpages.
Apple have added the Emoji keyboard to all version of iOS 5 (not just the Japanese version as with previous releases), finally!
To enable this on your iP[ad|hone|od] iOS 5 device.
- Start by launching the iOS Settings app and tapping on General settings.
- Now tap Keyboard
- Now tap International Keyboards.
- Tap Add New Keyboard…
- Scroll down till you see Emoji, and tap on that
- Now we’re done, you can either tap back, or press the Home button.
You can now use Emoji characters whenever you’re entering text.
For example to use Emoji in the Notes application
- Launch the Notes application and add a new note
- To access the Emoji keyboard tap the International Keyboard icon
- The first time you do this you’ll see a dialogue explaining that you can cycle through keyboard by repeatedly tapping the icon.
- There are many Emoji available to you including six pages of smilies
- Three pages of cute animals and plants
- Seven pages of festive, and other event icons
- Four pages of location and landmark icons
- Five pages of other interesting characters including western zodiac and Chinese horoscope.
- Simply tap on the emoji to insert them amongst regular text. You can tap the International Keyboard icon again to return to your regular keyboard